A little something different today! I’m pleased as punch to have been given a Liebster Award from The Most Happy!
The Liebster Awards are a sort of love and chain letter hybrid! If you get a Liebster Award and choose to accept it, you answer the 11 questions that the awarder asks of you, post 11 random facts about yourself, and then bestow the award on 5-11 people who you think have terrific blogs (they should have less than 300 followers).
I accept! Not only because I’m thrilled that Lisa likes my blog, but also because I realize I post very little off-topic here, and you can get to know me a little this way. Here are my answers to the questions Lisa has posed:
1. What did you want to be when you were a child?
When I was very little I used to stare out of the window waiting for the trash trucks each week, and told my grandmother I wanted to be a “trashman.” (!) When I was 7 we had grandparents day at school, and had to write our names on the board and what we wanted to be when we grew up. I wrote “cocktail waitress.” (!) Once I got even older I would have told you artist AND writer. The trashman and cocktail waitress dreams didn’t pan out.
2. Which historical figure would you have lunch with and why?
Right now, I would like to have lunch with William Morris. I would like to talk with him about art, craft, politics, bookmaking, textiles, utopias, and so much more. I imagine our food would be simple and hearty, perhaps a stew or soup, a cheese, homemade bread. Perhaps the table cloth would be of his design. Perhaps the crockery made by one of his associates!
3. What item could you never live without?
Once you get to a certain age or have certain experiences, and have to accept living without many of the people and things who/that were your world, you know that you can live without things. I like certain things very much, such as my Kitchen Aid mixer! But, if I’m still around after the apocalypse, I can knead my bread by hand. I’ll have to.
4. What color is your favorite pair of shoes?
Hmmm. Is my favorite pair of shoes the ones I think are prettiest, or the ones I wear constantly? In my teens and 20s, I would have picked the former, but now I will choose the latter: Black. Black Dansko clogs, to be specific! I can walk all over town with them, they are super comfortable, they are good for my feet, they look decent with dresses, and they last forever.
5. What do you see in your blog’s future?
More of the same, I hope! I love having this space to talk about all things bookish (and my other space, Life During Wartime, for my ration project!)!
6. What book could you read over and over?
So many! And I do — I’m a huge re-reader. Most recently, I read Donna Tartt’s new book, The Goldfinch, twice — the second time right after the first! I read David Copperfield over and over and over. And Jane Eyre. And A Little Princess. And, and, and.
7. What’s your favorite season and why?
I’ve always been a huge fan of autumn (fall leaves! pumpkin everything! school! sweaters!) but once I moved from the city a few years ago I fell in love with all of the seasons. I began gardening, and now look forward to the first flowers of spring, summer tomatoes, and the quiet time of winter when everything sleeps.
8. Righty or lefty?
9. Favorite place you’ve visited?
That’s hard. Would I be a traitor to my people if I said as a whole, I loved France a leeeetle more than Italy? Would I be thumbing my nose to my origins if I said I loved Florence more than Southern Italy? Probably. But true.
10. Coffee or tea?
Both! I love coffee and have a (large) cup every morning. We buy a big bag of pretty good beans, grind them fresh for each pot, and make them in a siphon coffee thing! Mmm! Then, I switch to tea. I have an extensive loose leaf tea collection (too extensive) and have half of it at work, and half of it at home. At work I like to drink teas that taste wonderful sans additions (too much trouble to keep milk and sugar in my office) and also the fussy ones that take particular temperatures, because I have a variable temperature kettle on my desk! I also love the teas that you can resteep several times at work — I pretty much resteep a chinese black or oolong all day, each day 🙂
At home, I like the English style teas you can take milk and sugar with, and also the herbals in the evenings so I can sleep! Here is my herbal chai non-recipe from my other blog!
11. Rain or snow?
Snow. It’s beautiful, and you sometimes get days to spend at home because of it. Rain makes my hair frizz out and I’m always losing my umbrellas.
Eleven Random Items About Me (you did say random):
2. I never learned how to drive a car (and intend to keep it that way).
3. My cat wakes me up at 5am (if I’m lucky!) each day. I’ve grown to enjoy it — I get so much done in the morning!
4. I make my own ketchup, mustard, vanilla extract, jam, chutney, and other everyday condiments. I also make my own body butter, deodorant, hair vinegar, and other toiletries!
5. I skipped 8th grade and graduated high school at 16. I derived no benefit from this!
6. I do not own jeans (which I think makes me a bad American). I do own leggings that look like jeans (which also makes me a bad American, in a different way).
7. I have one ear that is pointy on the bottom, and one ear that is round on the bottom!
8. My favorite weekends are the ones where I don’t leave the house from post-work Friday to pre-work Monday (said on a weekend where I must leave the house several times).
9. I could eat toast morning, noon, and night. Homemade bread, good butter, sometimes jam, sometimes cheese! My perfect food.
10. We don’t own a television, but rather have a projector and a screen. It’s like we have our own tiny movie theater!
11. I hate airplanes. Not that I’m afraid to fly … I just find them too fast, inelegant, wasteful (when you can jet anywhere anytime, everything becomes less special). I like walking, trains, and boats (future dream trip? New York to England on the QE2!).
Now, a few of the bloggers that I enjoy! I will tell you — I’m not sure how to tell if they have 300 followers or less. Bloggers, this is a pure honor – and I will not be put out in the least if you don’t answer the questions or accept the award. I just want to say how very much I like your blogs 🙂 You all combine astute perceptions, creating in some way, humor, drive, and passion for your interests! I am privileged to read your words and view the pictures that you share.
If you wish, you can post 11 random facts about yourself, answer the 11 questions below, and choose 5-11 Liebsters yourself. No arm twisting here!
1. Do you share your life with any animals? If so, tell me about them.
2. Do you have a favorite flower? If so, what is it?
3. Please share a quote that you love with us?
4. What is your favorite first name?
5. What gift or talent do you think that you do not possess, but would love to have?
6. Wine or Beer or Spirits? Why?
7. What do you love the most about the modern world? Dislike the most?
8. If you had to eat the same lunch every day for a month, what would it be?
9. If you could live as another person, alive or dead, for one day, who would you choose?
10. If you could make any literary character real, who would it be?
11. If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
Thanks again for the award, Lisa! I truly enjoyed participating!!!