I’m joining the 2014 TBR Pile Challenge over at Roof Beam Reader! As I said over there, I saw the challenge on Adam’s blog last year, but from the title my mind jumped to the conclusion that if you joined, you couldn’t buy any books for a year, and I freaked — I didn’t even open the post! Oh my, I think someone may have a book problem.
This year I actually read the post (!!!) and saw that it’s nothing of the sort — it is simply a pledge to read 12 books that have been on your to be read pile, and they need to have been published in 2012 or earlier. Phew! OK. I can do that.
To make it personally challenging, I’ve decided to read stuff published in the last 75 years (from 2012, backwards), and choose books that do not overlap my Classics Club list.
Without further ado, please let me present my 2014 TBR Pile Challenge List!
- Angela Carter – Nights at the Circus – 1984
- Jeanette Winterson – Written on the Body – 1992
- Winifred Watson – Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day – 1938 (my oldest choice!)
- Brett Easton Ellis – Glamorama – 1998
- Grace Metalious – Peyton Place – 1956
- Tea Obreht – The Tiger’s Wife – 2011
- Jeffrey Eugenides – The Marriage Plot – 2011
- Sherman Alexie – Indian Killer – 1996
Helen Simonson – Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand – 2011Review
- Carlos Ruiz Zafon – The Shadow of the Wind – 2001
- Hilary Mantel – Bring Up the Bodies – 2012
- Barbara Kingsolver – Flight Behavior – 2012
Ta da! I’m not choosing two alternates because I’m wild like that. If I can’t get through one of these, I’ll pick something else then (but — look at these titles! Twelve months of fun! I don’t think that will happen!). The only hard part will be choosing what to read first! If I don’t feel a strong pull on January 1, I may have to use a pendulum, the Tarot, or, ah, the random number generator.
Thanks for hosting, Adam! I will never be scared to read your posts again.